Top tier improving, education dept shifts focus on bottom 3% schools

AVINAV VERMA. Updated: 7/10/2020 11:14:58 AM Front Page

Number of poor performing schools down by 12%

JAMMU: The Education Department have reason to 'celebrate' encouraging performance of government schools in recently announced board results of class 10 and 12, as besides remarkable improvement in overall pass percentage, the numbers of institutions with dismal performance have also come down this year.
“The improvements show our committed dedication to better the quality of education and our efforts in covering the remaining gaps will be seen in the times of come,” a senior official rejoiced.
For instance, the officer said, in the year 2019, 82 government schools were categorized as poor-performing ones, which have come down to 72 this year, in Jammu region.
“There is no such categorization but an internal mechanism to mark those few schools where we need to improve more,” he clarified.
The schools which have a pass percentage between 0 to 20 percent are placed in this category, The News Now learnt.
As a testimony to our sincere efforts, the number of private schools whose pass percentage for class 10 this year was between 0-20% was comparatively higher than the government schools, a senior officer said.
Further explaining, he informed that in 2019, there were 18 government schools which had their pass percentage below 10%. We have been able to bring it further down to 10, this year.
“When you see the situation overall, we have 6 dozen odd schools performing poor this year, out of around 2500 high schools and higher secondary schools. That makes them less than 3%. The other 97% are performing brilliantly and that speaks of the quality of education being imparted in government schools, especially in contrast with the fee charged by the private schools,” the officer said.
However, there are still some grey areas which need to be addressed and the department is not shying away.
“Of course there are some gaps to be covered. For example, a school in Jammu district has not been able to improve from 0% pass results for second consecutive year. We have been keeping an eye and efforts are being made,” the official said.
Even as we are happy with the excellent results in both 10 and 12 in government schools, besides the fact that the number of toppers have also increased, the department is still focused on ascertaining the reasons behind poor performance of some of them and has sought explanations from them, he said.
We have long suffered from improper rationalization of teaching staff for long. But the efforts are now being made to address this also, he added.
Another official had a different perspective on the situation.
“I believe that the pre-primary schooling is where we had been lacking but with the emphasis now on strengthening that part also, we are sure, things will improve in the near future,” she said.
Meanwhile Director Education School, Anuradha Gupta sought to downplay the whole exercise of seeking explanation from some schools over poor results.
“This is a routine exercise just to improve results in schools,” she told this scribe but hastened to add, “Our overall results are more than 70 per cent.”


Comment on this Story