Restrictions lifted in SeK, downtown Srinagar after two days

TNN Bureau. Updated: 10/20/2018 12:46:14 PM

Srinagar, Oct 20: Curfew-like restrictions, imposed for the past two days as a precautionary measure, were lifted from the downtown and Shehar-e-Khas (SeK) besides parts of the civil lines in Srinagar on Saturday.

Restrictions were imposed in these areas on Thursday for security reasons following a strike called by separatists against 'civilian killings', arrest of youths under Public Safety Act (PSA) and alleged thrashing of media persons by security forces. The restrictions continued yesterday to prevent protests after Friday prayers.

Police said there were no restrictions in any part of the city on Saturday. Restrictions under Section 144 CrPC (prohibition of assembly of more than four persons) which were imposed on Thursday morning as a precautionary measure in the areas falling under the jurisdiction of police station MR Gunj, Nowhatta, Khanyar, Safa Kadal and Rainawari in the SeK and down, were lifted on Saturday.

Similarly, restrictions, which were imposed on Thursday morning in Kralkhud in the old city and Maisuma, stronghold of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) in the civil lines, were also lifted.

All roadblocks, including barbed wire, have been removed in the downtown and SeK. Additional security force and state police personnel deployed to strictly implement the restrictions have also been withdrawn. Traffic was also plying normally on busy Nallahmar road, which was closed for the past two days.

Shops and business establishments reopened Saturday morning and people were out doing their normal business. Traffic was also plying on all routes as security forces and police had removed all road blocks and barbed wire.

All gates of historic Jamia Mashid in SeK Srinagar were also reopened for devotees after remaining shut for two days as a precautionary measure. Security forces, deployed in Jamia Market, have also been withdrawn and shopkeepers are doing normal business there since early Saturday morning. Friday prayers could not be offered in Jamia masjid from the last two weeks due to restrictions imposed by authorities.

Normal work in government offices and banks also resumed while good number of students attended their classes after two days in these areas. Milkmen and vegetable sellers, who were restricted to enter the restricted area from outskirts, were doing brisk business Saturday morning.

Comment on this Story